It all began in China with the first case coming out in December 2019. After that Coronavirus spread out to hundreds of cities and countries across the world. Though many countries were partially and totally locked down for prevention, the sports and entertainment segment got huge hits. We covered the list of movies postponed in 2020 and now we have come up with a list of sports events postponed.
Here’s how the virus impacts the 2020 sports calendar:
Football Sports Events Postponed
- The Football Association, EFL, and Premier League have postponed all the professional football sports events in 2020 till April 30. Though the associations can extend the notice indefinitely for matches in England.
- The UEFA Euro 2020 is also not taking place before 2021 summers. The new dates are most likely to be 11 June to 11 July of 2021. The governing body of European Football is also a part of the sports events postponed in 2020. The body is planning to create a new schedule for June 2020.
- UEFA Under-21 Championship, Women’s Euro 2021, and nation league finals of 2021 will also get new dates later.
- There will be no Copa America in 2020. However, this move has come to allow Europe-based South American players to finish their league campaign.
- Scottish football also joins the league showing an impact of the novel corona virus. There will be no sporting events 2020 till 30 April.
- In March, two friendlies of England at Wembley against Denmark and Italy were those among sports events cancelled. Due to this, the next two matches with Romania and Austria are also put on delay.
- FA Women’s championship and Women’s Super League are also not happening on time.
- As per a confirmation from UEFA, the Europe League and Champions League that players were to play on 16 March didn’t happen. Also, a quarter final for both of them results in draw.
- FIFA recommends postponing all international matches in March and April until the environment is safe and secure.
- No domestic sport in Italy including Serie A matches until 3 April.
- There is a delay of France’s top 2 divisions, Ligue 1 and 2 until the next notice arrives.
- Sports events news from Spain states postponing of all football matches including La Liga.
- News of suspending matches from Major league Soccer is also there. And, there’s no date available for the league to restart yet.
- The South American World Cup (CONMEBOL), scheduled for the 23 to 31 March, is also under suspension.
- All matches of Northern Premier League also attract a delay until the next notice.
- The Scottish Professional Football League is also suspending all games until an order from the government or FA’s direction.
- The FA is also suspending all grassroots football in England until further notice.
- Besides, the corona virus is also impacting other related events like the suspension of 2020 award ceremony by the professional FA.
- The final Hillsborough memorial service is also not happening as per its schedule of 15 April.
- CONMEBOL is also postponing the Copa Sudamericana and Copa Libertadores until 5 May.
- And, the football activities under The Turkish Football are other sports events postponed until the next notice.
Golf Sports Events Postponed
- The first postponement news of golf events came out for Masters at Augusta (traditional name: blue riband event). Following the suite, US PGA gets a delay till the late summers.
- Among the sports events cancelled are ‘The Players Championship’ and all events of PGA tour for the next 3 weeks. The list of cancellation also covers other 4 events during April and May, the Wells Fargo Championship, the RBC Heritage, AT& T Byron Nelson, and the Zurich Classic of New Orleans.
- The sporting calendar 2020 for a match of Andalucia Masters with August’s Czech Masters was from 30 April to 3 May. There is a notice of postponing this along with six European tournaments.
- The new schedule for Aramco Saudi ladies International of the Ladies European Tour is also there. The matches will now likely take place around the year end.
- The 2020 sports calendar for Africa’s sunshine tour was to take place on 20 April. However, due to coronavirus spread, there’s a delay in this tour as well.
- One of the major sports events in 2020 is the PGA EuroPro tour. It’s original schedule came out with dates ranging from May to October. As of now, the new dates of the tour covering 15 events isn’t available yet.
- Due to rising cases of COVID-19 infection in the USA, the USGA is also cancelling the US Women’s Open and US Open.
- The GolfSixes Cascais event, a part of the European Tour isn’t taking place till further notice. However, Made in Denmark Tournament is also on the list of sports events postponed due to coronavirus.
- The China Open in Shenzhen was about to take place from 23 to 26 April. Besides, this event is also on the cancellation list.
- The Maybank Championship is a part of European tour covering Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia. This year the dates for the event were 16 to 19 April. But, due to global conditions, the event is also on halt until further notice.
- There is a notice from ECB to cancel all the professional cricket matches in Wales and England until 28 May.
- On the 2020 sports calendar for cricket, the test series between England and Sri Lanka is an interesting clash. However, players are back home with the match being on the list of sports events postponed until further notice.
- Bad sports events news came for IPL fans in India too. The Indian Premier League isn’t taking place as per its schedule of 29 March and will now start on 15 April. Though this might get another delay if things don’t go normal till then.
- The annual champion country match of the Essex with MCC was to take place from 24 to 27 March. But the board made a decision to push it to a future date.
- All the pre-season trips at Lancashire, Hampshire, Surrey, Glamorgan, Kent, Somerset, Derbyshire, Warwickshire, Gloucestershire, Essex, Yorkshire, and Durham either ended early or will not take place.
- Bodies governing sports in South Africa and India agreed to cancel the final ODI match between their cricket teams. And, two ODIs between New Zealand and Australia won’t take place now.
- The Australian Women’s team was to visit South Africa for T20 and ODI matches starting 22 March. But that also became a part of the cancellation drive across the world.
- Following an advice from medical experts, the last 2 rounds of New Zealand’s first class cricket competition did not happen. However, Wellington Firebirds won the Plunket Shield for 2019-2020 based on the point tally till date.
- Pakistan’s confirmation of cancelling the 3rd leg of Bangladesh’s visit (ODI and Test matches) is also on the list.
- South Africa Cricket is also cancelling all its cricket matches for the next sixty days.
- Ireland is to delay its tour of Zimbabwe with new dates not available yet.
- The news of delay of the 7-match series between Bangladesh and Ireland is also out.
- The Super League of Pakistan was about to end with the semi final match on 17 March. New dates for the same will be available later.
- The Wales and England Cricket board is also postponing all its recreational cricket forms.
Boxing Sports Events Postponed
- There will be no boxing event until May end as per a report from The British Boxing Board of control.
- There will be no show at Madison Square Garden according to Top Rank’s original schedule of 14 to 17 March. And, the new dates aren’t out at present.
- Japan had all its sports events cancelled that were to take place in the March month.
- New dates for Miguel Marriaga vs Shakur Stevenson and Marcos Hernandez vs James Kirkland matches will be available later.
- Qualifier matches in Lodon for the Olympics are also put on halt till the end of this year.
MMA Sports Events Postponed
- An update from UFC’s President, Dana White states delay of the next 3 fight nights including UFC London.
- UFC did not cancel the Fight Night 170 in Brazil but let it happen behind closed doors.
- Bellator 241 event is reportedly not taking place in the Connectinut as per its original schedule.
Basketball Sports Events Postponed
- Notice of NBA Season’s postponement came after Utah Jazz’s Rudy Gobert getting a positive on corona virus report.
- The entire staff of Brooklyn Nets is under self isolation after positive test reports of four of their players.
- The Basketball England also added its match for 17 March on the list of sports events cancelled.
- All games of Women’s Chinese Basketball Association will get new dates later.
- The first season of NBA’s Basketball Africa League in the Dakar, Sanegal will take place at a later date. Though the new schedule isn’t out yet.
- Olympic qualifiers for FIBA 3×3 were among India’s major sports events in 2020. However, there’s a delay from the original 18-22 March schedule for the event in Bangalore due to the corona virus impact.
- Several matches of Asia Cup qualifiers aren’t happening as per the original plan. Matches on the suspension list include Philippines vs. Thailand on 20 February; Japan vs. China on 21 February, China vs. Malaysia on 24 February.
- Fans of Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal will have to wait more to see top tennis players in action. Corona virus impact has led to the delay of BNP Paribas, the high-profile tennis at the Indian Wells.
- The Tennis tournament next on the list of sports events cancelled is Miami Open that was to start on 23 March.
- In Charleston, the Volvo Car Open was called off. The finals of Fed Cup in Budapest along with the play-off matches across 8 locations won’t take place until further notice. Cancelling of Kunming Open and China’s Xi’an Open follows the suite.
- The WTA and ATA report delay of their tennis season till 7 June.
- All the racing sport events in Ireland won’t be open for public till 19 April.
- In Britain, the Horse racing Authority’s initial notice came for conducting all the meetings behind the closed doors. However, the update for postponing all the racing events till April end wasn’t far.
- In France, authorities suspend racing till 15 April.
- The news to cancel The Grand National is also final.
- The richest horse race of the world, the Dubai World cup is also a part of the sports events postponed in 2020 due to corona virus.
- The London Marathon got a new date of 4 Oct. The original date of the historic race’s 40th edition was 26 April.
- The Manchester Marathon that has of 26000 runners taking part in it stands still until further notice.
- Another on the list of delayed sports events in 2020 due to Corona virus is the Paris Marathon. With the actual date being 5 April, the race will now take place on 18 Oct. Others including Romeo Marathon (29 March) and Boston Marathon (20 April) are not gonna happen this year.
- Authorities are pushing The World Indoor Championship due for this year in Nanjing, China to March 2021.
- The first 3 diamond league meetings were to take place on 17 April, 9 May, and 16 May in Qatar and China. The next dates are not yet out but the event will most likely take place after Olympics.
- UK also saw a delay in all the athletic activities across the nation including leagues, competitions, running groups, races, and member clubs. The new dates are likely to be out around April end.
- Besides, all the Park run events on sporting calendar 2020 for the March month will take place later.
- The match of Super League between Leeds and Catalans Dragons in Perpignan was on the sports events news for its delay. The reason for this is detection of symptoms of the corona virus in one of the Rhino’s players.
- Besides, some sports events are also taking a toll due to the cancelling of event spaces. Bootham Crescent in York City is closing availability for all the matches including earlier bookings. This include the Coral Cup Challenge between Rochdale Hornets and York City Knights that will now take place in Featherstone’s Millennium Stadium.
- Also, the Dewsbury confirmed the suspension of Betfred Championship against Toulouse.
- Moreover, suspension is certain for all the rugby league matches of the Betfred Super League and the community games.
- Shaun Wane, the coach of England was going to meet his new squad on 23 March at the old Trafford. The meet-up will get a new date soon.
- The next one is for Oceania Cup matches of Tonga Invitational XIII with Kiwis and Cook island with Samoa.
- Corona virus is also taking a toll on the cycling sports events in 2020. One of the major events is the delay of the first grand tour, Giro d’Italia. The dates for this tour was 9 May.
- The 2 pending stages of the UAE tour might not happen due to detection of two cases of corona virus.
- The new dates for UK’s World Tour Stage race and Women’s Tour are in. The race will now start on 8 June in Oxfordshire.
- The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) confirms defer for its sporting calendar 2020 till 3 April.
- The Tour De Romandie also joins the list of sporting events cancelled due to corona virus. The actual schedule was from 27 April to 3 May.
- Postponment is also final for three major events such as the Fleche Wallonne, Liege-Bastogne-Liege, and Paris-Roubaix.
- Also, sporting regulators will bring a new schedule for the Tour de Yorkshire. This follows the delay of the actual one from 30 April to 3 May.
- British Cycling also postpones all the cycling events till 30 April.
- There’s a change in the 2020 sporting calendar for World Snooker Championship as well. After delay of the dates for the match from 18 April to 4 May, there is no word on its new dates yet.
- Also, there is a news for the delay of The Betfred World Snooker Championship.
- At the same time, another snooker event ‘1 million china open’ was to start in Beijing at March end. But the event won’t happen this year due to corona virus cancelling all the games.
- Also, In Llandudno, the news of postponing the Coral Tour Championship is also there.
Swimming & Diving
- British Swimming cancels the diving world series that was to take place in London.
- Not only this, British Para-swimming International Meet and British Swimming Championship to take place in April are also not taking place.
- The organizers abandon World Short Track Speed Skating Championships due to the fears of the corona virus spread. The actual dates of the event were 13 to 15 March.
- In addition, the news of sports not taking place is also there for World Figure Skating Championships. The match was to take place in Quebec from 16 to 22 March.
- Besides, the International Judo Federation also cancels all the events of the Olympic qualification until 30 April.
- Organizers are suspending all the five events of the premier league in April. And, there isn’t any update on whether those will happen this year at a later date.
- Also, new dates for Night Seven in Newcastle and Premier League Double-Header in Rotterdam are here. The professional darts corporation is planning to conduct the events from 9 to 10 Sep and 1 Oct.
- Also, Leverkusen’s European Darts Open, Sindelfingen’s European Darts Grand Prix, and Munich’s German Darts Grand Prix are getting new dates.
- And, other cancellations include Double-headers of Players Championship, tour events of PDC Unicorn Challenge, and European tour qualifiers.
Baseball Sports Events Postponed
- Besides, dates of 1 to 5 April for baseball’s Olympic qualifiers are also under the impact of corona. The new dates for events in Dou Liu and Taichung, Taiwan are 17 to 21 June.
- And, Major League Baseball confirms a delay of at least 8 weeks in its 2020 season.
- In Hanoi, the Vietnam International Challenge is also under suspension. While the old dates were 24 to 29 March, the new ones are 2 to 7 June.
- German Open 2020 and Olympic Qualifier for Badminton in Meulheim an der Ruhr also stand still. A report from Badminton World Federation confirms the cancellation of the 3 to 8 March match.
- The Polish Badminton Association confirms suspension of the Krekow’s 2020 Polish Open from 26 to 29 March.
- In addition, two matches of Great Britain vs Hungary for 21 and 22 April are other sports events canceled.
- The schedule of 29 March for the Boat Race is cancelled.
- And, the organizers are also cancelling the dates of 1 to 5 July for The Henley Royal Regatta.
Paralympics and Olympics
- Due to the pandemic corona virus, International Olympic Committee agrees to delay the 2020 Paralympic and Olympic games. The Tokyo games for this year will get new dates later. An announcement from Japan’s Prime Minister and IOC President states that XXXII Olympiad Games won’t be late than 2021 summers.
- In addition, the Olympic torch Relay’s Greek leg was also cancelled.
- In London, the Olympic boxing qualifiers are also on the list of cancellations.
- And, the Tokyo’s all-round world cup event of Artistic Gymnastics is also cancelled.
Hockey Sports Events Postponed
- Organizers cancelled the Pro league matches of Hockey between Belgium, China, and Australia. The schedule of the matches was for 8 to 9 February and 14 to 15 March.
- Besides, Indian Women’s hockey team had plans of going to China from 14-25 March. However, the plan was cancelled due to the spread of corona virus.
- And, the March-April tour of Ireland women’s to Malaysia is also not happening due to the same reason.
- New dates for Annual Azlan Shah Cup in Ipoh, Malaysia are out. While the original schedule was from 11-18 April, the new one will be Sep 24 to Oct 3.
- In Seoul, the East Asian Championship scheduled from Feb 26 to March 3 has been postponed.
- In Bucharest, Romania, the junior world championship that was to be held from 14 to 24 March was cancelled.
- In Bishkek, March’s Asian Olympic Wrestling Qualifiers have been suspended. There is no latest update regarding the venue and date for the same. According to the IWF, the event is likely to get new schedule in April.
Thus, here’s a list of sports events postponed in 2020. Do you have any other on your mind that we must add in here? Let us know your favorite sports in the comment section. And, we will try to keep the list up-to-date.